Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Expiring a single job on a single tape

2004-06-16 23:10:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Expiring a single job on a single tape
From: bedros.geyoghlian AT sbcglobal DOT net (Bedros Geyoghlian)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:10:01 -0700
At 08:16 AM 6/16/2004, Mathieu Nantel wrote:
>Ok. It looks like I can't expire the job because it's just not there.
>However,
>there's this report generated by the available_media script that still claims
>that the tape is full (if that job wasn't there anymore it wouldn't be full).
>
>Excerpt:
>
>[root@life admincmd]# available_media
>media   media   robot   robot   robot   side/   ret    size     status
>  ID     type    type      #     slot    face    level  KBytes

>CHEM02  DLT      NONE     -       -      -       24     98482912        ACTIVE
>CHEM01  DLT      TLD      0       4      -       24     142478432       FULL
>

>The CHEM01 tape is the one with the bad image on. Is the available_media
>script broken???

Maybe but I don't think so.  What I think happened:  bptm on the media
server set the status to FULL because it reached the EOT marker assuming
another tape would get loaded to continue the job but then didn't get
changed back when the job failed.  To verify this:

a) Run the Media Status report.  That should confirm the volume as being FULL.

b) Run a Media Contents report on CHEM01.  This report loads the tape and
sees what's actually on it.  See what the backup ID is at the end of the
volume.  Then run an Images on Media report for the same volume and see if
the backup ID shows up there.  This report looks at the catalogs.  I'm
guessing the backup ID listed at the end of the Media Contents report won't
exist in the Images on Media report.

HTH,

- Bedros

Bedros R. Geyoghlian                    Mobile: 408.504.3856
Technical Instructor and Consultant     FAX   : 510.372.0128
Geyoghlian & Associates                 bedros.geyoghlian AT sbcglobal DOT net