Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SDLT320 : ?REAL? native capacity

2004-06-16 13:15:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SDLT320 : ?REAL? native capacity
From: nantel AT ecopiabio DOT com (Mathieu Nantel)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:15:28 -0400
Good day (again),

I've recently been archiving pre-compressed data in bz2 format to tape. I'm
quite certain that my SDLT drive's hardware compression is not as good as
bz2, so there probably isn't too much compression going on.

The reason I'm saying this is that I was able to fit a mere 142 gigs on a tape
which is meant to have a NATIVE capacity of 160 gigs.

This rose a few questions here. Is this analoguous to the way hard drive
vendors count hard drive space in base 10 vs base 2 for computers? In this
case, I shouldn't be loosing any more than 2.4% of the space (1000KB vs
1024KB). (142*100/160) tells me that I've got a 11.75% loss of space, which
sounds a bit too much to me.

Anyone can shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Mathieu Nantel - RHCE,BOFH                       Ecopia BioSciences
Systems Manager                                 (514) 336-2724 x434
nantel AT ecopiabio DOT com
[*] Please avoid sending me Word/Excel/PowerPoint attachments: this
    assumes that I run MS Office, which is not always the case.
    See: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html