Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multistreaming/Multiprexing

2004-06-11 05:00:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multistreaming/Multiprexing
From: AshraffK AT teletext.co DOT uk (Ashraff Khan)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:00:01 +0100
We are currently running Veritas NetBackup V3.4 for our centralised backup
solution and are experiencing problems with the every expanding backup
windows which is currently taking around 12hrs to backup 750GB of data.

Our systems spec:

2 x Qualstar TLD6460 sixty slots and 2 x SDLT drives in each library.
1 x Master and 2 x Media servers controlling each library.

We are currently backing up a total of 70 servers on the network which are
all connecting through 100MB full-duplex switched network.

The total data being backed up on a daily basis is around 750GB, but total
data in library is around 10TB because it takes so long to duplicate the
data.

We are currently holding data with retention period of 1 month.

Questions:

1.      How can we reduce the backup windows considerably?
2.      How can we reduce the retention period?
3.      How can we speed up the tape duplication process?
4.      How can we utilise multistreaming and multiplexing to reduce backup
window?
5.      What is the optimum setting for multistreaming and multiplexing in
our environment?
6.      What is the total throughput of the SDLT drives i.e. MB per sec.
7.      How can we utilise the two drives in the library to double the
throughput.

Thanks

Ash.

Ashraff Khan
Principal Systems Project Manager
IT Systems
Teletext Ltd.

Tel.   0870 7313703
Mob. 07887 714425
Fax.   0870 7313744
e-mail:  ashraffk AT teletext.co DOT uk

IMPORTANT NOTICE
This communication contains information, which is confidential and may also
be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If
you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of
distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it
communication in error please return it to the sender. The opinions
expressed within this communication are not necessarily those expressed by
Teletext Ltd.

Teletext Ltd.
Building 10
Chiswick Park