Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Outlook .PST datestamp change --> Backup overload

2004-06-11 12:33:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Outlook .PST datestamp change --> Backup overload
From: Louis-Luc Le Guerrier <leguerri AT Canr.Hydro.Qc DOT Ca> (Louis-Luc Le Guerrier)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:33:23 -0400 (EDT)
Hello,
Thanks to anyone who responded to my previous question
regarding "Restore: putting required tapes w/o having to
redo the restore".

Now another problem is, again, with .PST files. I noticed that
Microsoft Outlook changes the date stamp of all attached
.PST files upon exiting Outlook. And also, for certain users,
the .PST file date stamp gets changed at a seemingly fixed
frequency even while Outlook is open and no change is done.
For instance, I've got a user where the date stamp gets put
to current date at every 4 hours.

This situation makes nearly all .PST files being backed up
every night, even if there is no change to the
files and backups are incremental. This creates an overload,
and fills out the tapes
uselessly and too quickly. On a daily incremental backup,
80% of backup space is occupied
by those .PST files just from 2 Windows servers, and the
remainder is for our hundred UNIX machines including servers.
We're also running out of time in backup windows because of
that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Louis-Luc