Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RMAN woes [FP6]

2004-05-27 04:33:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RMAN woes [FP6]
From: michael.thomson AT orange.co DOT uk (michael.thomson AT orange.co DOT uk)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 09:33:47 +0100
Hi Kevin

If you are using 4.5 FP6 and also using multiplexing for backups, be aware that
a bug was re-introduced in FP6 that can make recoveries fail if you're
recovering multiple streams in parallel.

In our case the restore was not failing as such (no error code in the Activity
log), but it did hang indefinitely, and we had tape positioning errors which led
to 'not a tar formatted image' errors on some of the streams.

There is a known fix, which is to replace the bprd binary on the master server
(we replaced it on all media servers as a precaution).

The patch for the problem (as I've described it, don't know if this is
definitely your problem) is RSVmn46622, our CaseID was 280-144-949.

Hope this helps.
Mike Thomson
Orange PCS Ltd

Important.
Confidentiality: This communication is intended for the above-named person and
may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this
communication are not necessarily those of the company. If it has come to you
in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to
anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

Monitoring/Viruses
Orange may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
legislation.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

Orange PCS Limited is a subsidiary of Orange SA and is registered in England No
2178917, with its address at St James Court, Great Park Road, Almondsbury Park,
Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.