Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Write Errors

2004-05-24 07:25:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Write Errors
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 06:25:18 -0500
On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:57:04AM +0100, Dave Markham wrote:
> I know there are various discussions about write errors and status 84,
> but i seem to get these on the same node and not others. I cant
> understand why it would db a per box error as I thought status 84
> would mean bad drive or dodgy tape.
>
> Anyone seen this where 84's are caused from a machine only?

We saw this when we had SAN issues.  A system on the same switch as the
fiber/scsi bridge was fine and systems on a different switch were
logging the 84 errors.  It turned out that we were trying to drive our
fiber between data centers faster (2 Gbps) than it was rated for (1
Gbps).  We dropped the speed of the ISLs and the 84s went away.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org