Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Removing media expiration dates

2004-05-21 14:28:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Removing media expiration dates
From: bedros AT raiderfans DOT com (Bedros Geyoghlian)
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:28:18 -0700
At 10:53 AM 5/21/2004, Justin C. Lloyd wrote:
>I have some tapes that I must have inadvertantly set an expiration date
>on, and I would like to remove them.  In the Media screen of the Admin
>Console, if I highlight a tape and select 'Change', the dialog box shows
>an expiration date of about 1 year from now.  However, in bpmedialist the
>expiration date is INFINITY, as I had tested changing that tape with
>'bpexpdate -m MEDIA_ID -d infinity'.
>
>So how do I remove the tape expiration dates that show in the Admin
>Console?  I know how to fix the image expiration dates using bpexpdate.

You're referring to two different expiration dates:

The Expiration Date on the "Change Volume Properties" screen is the VOLUME
expiration.  That date indicates the date/time after which you can no
longer write to the tape (i.e. the tape has been overwritten so often that
you can't rely on the tape anymore).

The bpmedialist expiration date is referring to IMAGE expiration.  When
using bpexpdate, you're telling NetBackup all the images on the volume will
expire and thus, when the tape will de-assigned (i.e. recyclable).

The change the former, go back to the "Change Volume Properties" for all
the volumes and change the "Expiration Date" to "Never".  You can also use
vmchange.

- Bedros

Bedros R. Geyoghlian                       mailto:bedros AT raiderfans DOT com

       "Winners forget they're in a race.  They just love to run."
                       - Simon Wilder (Joe Pesci) in "With Honors"