Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] "40" errors backing up from Tru64 system

2004-05-19 13:32:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] "40" errors backing up from Tru64 system
From: dlogcher AT MIT DOT EDU (Dan Logcher)
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:32:50 -0400
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com wrote:

> I am at a loss.  I have not been able to backup any data from a couple
> of Tru64 systems.  I have tried everything I can think of. Everything

> is set to 100FDX No autonegotiate. We are backing up through a cisco

> switch to a PIX firewall and then to the media server.  The firewall

> is open in both directions.  The firewall logs do not show any connection

> being broken.
>
> Maybe once in 10 tries we will get a backup started, it runs at a good
> rate for a few minutes then gradually slows to a stop, then we get a "40"
> error.
> Sometimes it just hangs for 10 minutes and then aborts with a 40 error.
> Veritas tries two
> times before giving up.  Usually both tries behave the same.
>
> We have two other Tru64 systems. Alpha 1000A running Tru64 version 40G
> that have no problems backing up.
>
> The ones that fail are AlphaES40 running Tru64 version 51B with the
> latest patches including the one below .

> HP has a patch, T64KIT0021340-V51BB24-E-20040120 to fix this.

This patch is suppose to fix the problem that exists in inetd.mod from the
V5.1B OS upgrade.  We upgraded two of six servers and couldn't restore to
a 5.1A server.  I also couldn't restore 5.1A backups to a 5.1B server..

I have been able to backup and restore 5.1B -> 5.1B once so far, and I need
to test more.  But this is the same delima I was in a month ago.. and still
may have.

Everytime HP patches or upgrades the OS they break something with backups.
EVERY TIME!!!

--
Dan