Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris vs IBMTape LTO-2 driver.

2004-05-19 12:29:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris vs IBMTape LTO-2 driver.
From: KFreels AT askjeeves DOT com (Kevin Freels)
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:29:50 -0700
Steve,

We're actually dealing with the opposite: going from the IBM drivers to
Sun with Ultrium drives. I have been told the native Sun drivers are
better, but we are holding off until we can be absolutely sure we can
read all our tapes once we've made the switch. What I'll probably do is
copy all configs to disk, then try the re-install, but even then I'm a
little nervous as we use our archives pretty regularly here.

I've been told that the compression (hardware, I assume) is better with
the Sun drivers. Veritas won't commit to answer this, perferring to punt
and have Sun and IBM duke it out. Veritas wants me to call them, as if I
could get them to really say one way or the other.

Let me know if you get an answer.

....k
-=-=-=-