Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple stream bpstart_notify and bpend_notify...

2004-05-18 11:20:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple stream bpstart_notify and bpend_notify...
From: pcd AT xinupro DOT com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:20:38 -0400
White, Steve wrote:

>I have seen this done in a script that basically keeps a status or
>"lock" file when the first stream executes the "bpstart_notify" scripts.
>Each time the script runs for each subsequent stream, it checks for the
>existence of the "lock" file and it skips the tasks that shouldn't be
>run multiple times.  Then you have the "bpend_notify" script run
>multiple times, and the last stream to complete removes the lock file.
>I have seen this logic used in NetBackup scripts before, but I don't
>recall who's scripts they were.
>
>You might look to see if there's something on the scripting web site.
>
>Steve White

I've written something like this and it is quite difficult to get it to
be completely
resilient.  At Vision, I tried to track down the correct developer to find
out if there is a road to heaven for this topic in 5.x, but no one was
able to
answer my question.  I thought that the 5.0 checkpoint backup recovery
thing might add an extra hook to help this out, but I haven't had a chance
to test this.  I can't distribute what I wrote since I don't own it (was
for a
customer), but I'd be happy to help whomever I can.  I have on my radar
screen a re-write learning from some of my mistakes.  If you take this
on, a couple of pointers...

-make sure that whatever lock mechanism you use is atomic, I used mkdir
in the end.
-don't assume stream numbers are processed in order
-the bpstart is easy with the lock, the bpend is a tough one especially
when it is something like a database agent backup where there are user
initiated
streams
-place a call to Veritas and tell them that they need to make this easier

Thanks
Peter