Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Turn of the compression

2004-05-17 18:09:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Turn of the compression
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:09:14 -0700 (PDT)
>  We are using a Storage Tek L700 with 4 SDTL drives.  The drive path for
> each is /dev/rm/0cbn 1 2 and 3.
>
> Can we create 4 more logical drives with the c removed from the drive path
> so that the hardware compression is not used?
> We have two backup policies that require us to backup compressed files.  We
> want to stop the hardware compression
> during only these backups.

Have you tested to see if it makes any difference?

The compression routines in the drives are fast and should be able to
detect already compressed data.  My first assumption is that it won't
make much of a difference.

I'm just afraid that trying to get NB to understand /dev/rmt/0cbn and
/dev/rmt/0hbn are both drive 4 in robot 2 will be difficult.