Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ndmp restore limitations

2004-05-14 00:09:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ndmp restore limitations
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 21:09:35 -0700
Good point.  Having worked primarily with NetApp I tend to think in
those terms.  For the OP ,think of NDMP as just a pipe, what the data
looks like inside that pipe is up to the vendor.

I'm not sure I understand your question though Darren.  I can obviously
use NBU to restore backups taken with NBU.  I can use BT the same way.
I can also restore from a Solaris box with a local tape drive.  Since
NDMP backups can't be multiplexed the MPX issue is lost in these
restores.  All you need to know is where the headers stop and the data
begins.  I don't know them off the top of my head anymore but I used to.
I wrote it all down though once the backup-boy torch was passed.
Quick overview is just fsf to the first data block and ufsrestore after
that.  Unattended and interactive both work.

Does this answer it?

~JK

ddunham AT taos DOT com
http://www.taos.com/