Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU and IBM Ultrium -TD1 drivers (Sun vs. IBM)

2004-05-13 14:46:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU and IBM Ultrium -TD1 drivers (Sun vs. IBM)
From: kevin AT westies DOT com (Kevin Freels)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:46:22 -0700
Greetings!

We are running Veritas NetBackup on a Sun Ultra-250 connected to a ADIC
robot with four Ultium-TD1 drives in it. These drives were initially and
are currently installed with the IBM drivers which (as I am told) do not
offer the same compression rate the SUN/Veritas drivers will. So the
solution is to un-install the IBM drivers and re-install with the native
SUN/Veritas drivers. This re-install involves a "boot -r" ro recreate
the entries under /dev/rmt and then deleting and re-adding the drives in
NetBackup so that they now point to the new devices under /dev/rmt.

However, Veritas Support cannot guarantee that the tapes will be
readable by the drives with the new drivers. Veritas' drivers provide
the "sg" part of the drivers which controls tape positioning; the
read/write functions are controlled by the "st" part of the driver and
Veritas does not address that. They suggested I get Sun and IBM to
figure out if tapes written by a drive using the IBM drivers will be
readable by drives now using the Sun drivers.

Without a guarantee that the tapes are readable, we cannot obviously
make the driver switch.

Any one dealt with this or know the answer?

Thanks!!!!

Kevin Freels
kfreels AT askjeeves DOT com