Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ndmp restore limitations

2004-05-13 17:42:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ndmp restore limitations
From: jason.helfman AT ticketmaster DOT com (Jason Helfman)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:42:07 -0700
didn't get any replies on the list, but Veritas replied with this after
opening a case.

Veritas response:

No, you should not need a drive attached to the destination filer.  By
default netbackup will load the tape on the system that did the backup.
  I agree the only thing you should need is the authentication to the
destination filer from the media server where the other ndmp client is
defined.

The main limitation is the one you mentioned.

With ndmp the backups must be restored back another filer.  The filer
types also must be the same, ex. you would not able to be restore a
backup from a netapp filer to a EMC data mover and vice versa..

Here are some limitations to DAR which you might like to know.
- File history must be enabled during the backup.
- The backup must be created with 4.5 or later.
- The catalog must be in binary mode.
- The max number of files selected is 1024, if more is selected DAR will
be disabled.
- Directory DAR is not supported, you cannot select a directory only
files when using DAR.