Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Definite Drive paths using an HP Fibre Channel Tape Controller II

2004-05-13 10:56:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Definite Drive paths using an HP Fibre Channel Tape Controller II
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 07:56:48 -0700 (PDT)
> Hi Guys
> I have a sight using NB 4.5FP6 in an SSO environment, all servers are
> W2K.
> They have 4x DLT7000 drives connect to a Compaq Fibre Channel Tape
> Controller 2 allowing the SCSI drives to be made available on the SAN.
> There are about 8 SAN media server accessing these tape devices.
> We have noticed that some of these DLT tape devices are every so often
> getting mapped to different OS devices.
> Basically the paths to the tape devices are changing.
> I need to implement some kind of persistent binding for these DLT7000
> devices.
> I cannot implement it from an HBA level as all DLT7000 devices are seen
> on the SAN through the tape controllers WWN and the DLT's do not have
> WWN.

Yes, but you can start there.  At the HBA level you can persistently
bind the WWN of the scsi-fiber bridge to a specific HBA "target".  You
shoud also be able to ask the bridge to persistently bind individual
SCSI targets on the bus to specific LUN addresses on the fabric side.

Those two settings, in combination with OS support, should be what you
need to keep things from moving around.