Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Off-topic: Mean time between cleaning on LTO dr ives?

2004-05-11 13:10:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Off-topic: Mean time between cleaning on LTO dr ives?
From: dlogcher AT MIT DOT EDU (Dan Logcher)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:10:59 -0400
Dellaripa, Rich wrote:

> I don't know about anyone else, but what I see most often is tapes
> getting stuck in the drives. I don't know if it's the batch of IBM tape
> drives we have, but we've used a couple different brands of tapes and
> that doesn't seem to make a difference.

We have a similar problem if a backup or restore is interupted or somehow

breaks causing the drive to DOWN.  It locks up the fibre channel, and the
tape cannot be dismounted until the drive is power cycled.

We've had a few tapes get completely wedged in the drive, the leader pin
can occasionally disconnect.  One tape had about 10' of tape pulled into
the drive that was shredded.  The drive was replaced.

--
Dan Logcher  W91-219C ASST UNIX Admin