Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] retention for primary & offsite vault copies

2004-05-06 14:44:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] retention for primary & offsite vault copies
From: abrowne AT tigr DOT org (Browne, Alec)
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 14:44:26 -0400
Hello

We use vault to duplicate our primary copies and send them offsite.  The
primary copy (weekly full) stays in the robot for 3 months.  We
duplicate those weekly fulls and send them offsite for 2 years.  If the
duplication fails, and I don't manually redo the duplication, then the
image is gone after 3 months.  That is bad.

What I would like to do is create the primary copy with 2-year retention
and duplicate it to a 3-month duplicate tape, then eject the primary
copy and send it offsite.  That way, even if the duplication fails, I
will still have a copy for 2 years and I will even know which tapes to
eject from the robot after 3 months (based on the expiration date).  Is
this a bad practice?

I am concerned about restores in that first 3-month period.  Will
netbackup request the primary copy from offsite even if there is a
duplicate in the robot?  Are there any other issues with this scenario?

Thanks

Alec Browne
Systems Administrator
abrowne AT tigr DOT org