Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Blade Servers

2004-05-04 16:09:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Blade Servers
From: kris.williams AT hp DOT com (WILLIAMS, KRISTOPHER L)
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:09:43 -0500
We are getting ready to deploy a set of blade servers. These boxes will
be running Win2k3 and housing somewhere around 350GB each. Initially we
will have a configuration of 48 blades.

Has anyone had experience in backing up blade servers? Is there anything
to watch out for?

Our plan has called for making one blade in each blade rack a dedicated
media server. We would then use this media server to backup all of the
other blades in that blade rack over the GigE LAN. The media server
would have LTO GEN 2 drives attached.

We could also choose to use SSO to share the drives across all of the
blades, but we have had nothing but problems with SSO in our Win2k/NT
environment. Is SSO more stable now in version 5.0 with Win2k3?

Thanks,

Kris