Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP or Not?

2004-05-03 13:46:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP or Not?
From: Tony.Stauffer AT Nav-International DOT com (Stauffer, Anthony R (Tony))
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:46:18 -0500
We tried backing up using network shares and had numerous problems on large
shares >50GB.  The jobs would terminate as a successful backup with status
zero, but would only have backed up a portion of the files.  We referred to
this as clipping.  Because the jobs indicated they were successful we had to
perform a comparison of the size of the data backed up to the actual folder
size and restart the jobs that stopped short.  Veritas recommended switching
to NDMP backups as a solution and we have not seen the problem since.

Hope this helps,

Tony

>From: "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT medtronic DOT com>
>To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
>Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP or Not?
>Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:27:57 -0500
>
>We are wondering what peoples thoughts are on NDMP backups.  I ask because
we
are currently doing NDMP Based backups from a EMC Celerra to  STK FC 9940B
Drives @ 12-15MBs.  It just seems expensive to have $30K FC Tape Drives
having
to be dedicated per Celerra DataMover.  Has anyone had any experience
mounting
NAS Shares to a Win2k Box and then doing Regular backups?  It would seem
that
you would have more flexibility by being able to share the $30K instead of
having to dedicate a drive per DataMover or NasHead....

>Appreciate any input
>
>Regards,
>
>Charles

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail and any attachments, as well as any documents from a file server of
International Truck
and Engine Corporation or its affiliates, are intended for the addressee and
may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law.
Any dissemination,
distribution, or copying is prohibited.  If a confidentiality or nondisclosure
agreement exists
between International and the recipient or the recipient's employer, this
e-mail and any attachments
hereto, as well as any documents from a file server of International Truck and
Engine Corporation or
its affiliates, this notice serves as marking as CONFIDENTIAL information of
International Truck and
Engine Corporation or its affiliates.  If you have received this communication
in error, please
contact the original sender.