Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO with disk?

2004-04-28 13:48:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO with disk?
From: thoke AT northpeak DOT com (Tim Hoke)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:48:56 -0500 (CDT)
Ed, you're close...

The DSSU will actually duplicate the images to tape at regular intervals
(scheduled via the STU) or manually.

Then, when a backup needs additional disk space, the previously migrated
(duplicated) images that already exist on tape will be removed.

If you get into a situation where a backup needs more disk and there
aren't any available images to remove, you'll run out of disk space and
the backup will fail with a status 84 (media write error of all things).

Check out the NetBackup 5.0 SAG Vol 1 for more info.

Just to clarify the cleanup process I'm referring to, here's what that
guide says:

When a Stage I (write backup to disk) process detects a full disk staging
storage unit, it pauses the backup, finds the oldest image that has been
successfully copied to the destination storage unit, and expires this
image copy.

HTH
-Tim