Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Stopping ltid

2004-04-21 12:03:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Stopping ltid
From: dlogcher AT MIT DOT EDU (Dan Logcher)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:03:24 -0400
Ed.Toner AT eu.nabgroup DOT com wrote:

> We fixed this with a firmware upgrade to the 9840 drives.

Are these LTO Gen II drives?

> What caused our hangup was a media error which left a tape with a corrupt
> header (MIR) so it would hang the entire drive next time.  It tries to
> position and then never completes.

That appears to by the same thing that happens to our backups.  The drives get
hung after a Media write error.

> Hitting the reset button on the drive normally unlocked things but we had
> to freeze the media until it's backups expired to stop it being written to.
> Once expired you could write to the start of the tape which resets the MIR
> and the tape is fine after that.

I don't recall seeing a reset button on the drive.  I have to power cycle the
drive, which unlocks the Fibre channel.

Do you bplabel the tape to reset the MIR???

--
Dan