Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fully Qualified Domain Names

2004-04-19 19:36:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fully Qualified Domain Names
From: Dwayne.Brzozowski AT mail.va DOT gov (Brzozowski, Dwayne)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:36:32 -0500
using short names isn't a problem. The name doesn't even have to be in dns.
I have a back-end network for many servers and to force the NB master server
and client to communicate on the back end, I create names for that specific
ip. That name must be in: client's /etc/hosts and bp.conf, NB master/media
server's /etc/hosts, and be the client name used in the NB policy. I am
still at 4.5.1 so I am not sure if 5.0 is picky about this but I have used
this same standard since 3.X days and have never had a problem. If you are
going to be using an ip that is already the primary dns name for that
client, add the made up name at the first name after the ip in the hosts
file. I have also used that. I also hate using the fqdn in NB. It is too
much of a pain to type that out and it also has no meaning to me. Because of
this, on the NB master and media servers, in the nsswitch.conf, I have
always had files then dns in the hosts: line entry. To test this change, a
quick and easy test is to run bpclntcmd -pn on the client. I do know that
the netbackup master/media servers must be in dns. You can use the alias, or
have the alias you want added to dns, then use that. But the alias must
exist as a cname to the fqdn for the gui to work.

Dwayne J. Brzozowski
Department of Veterans Affairs
Austin Automation center
(512)326-6728 work