Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] labels and lto-2 tapes

2004-04-19 15:08:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] labels and lto-2 tapes
From: dlogcher AT MIT DOT EDU (Dan Logcher)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:08:56 -0400
Len Boyle wrote:

> Hello
>
> We are moving from DLT tapes to LTO gen 2. Our initial set of scratch tapes
> for our different backup systems were purchased bundled with the tape
> library, pre labeled.  Now we have to look at the methods we will use to add
> new tapes as needed.
>
> In the past with dlt we purchased blank tapes and labeled them as needed with
> the backup software. The labels on the dlt tape just slide into slots on the
> cart. With the lto-2 they have to be glued onto the cart.
>
> What are others doing in this area.
>
> 1) buying pre-labeled tapes?
>
> 2) Buying pre-printed labels and placing on the tape carts?
>
> 3) Printing labels? If so do you use label media with adhesive pre-applied?

We went with option 2 and bought label packs to put on the tapes.
We have two L5500 silos with their own tapes, so we bought labels
starting from 005000-005999 and 010000-010999 to keep them different
from each other.  Each silo can hold 5500, so we've got room to grow
before crossing number paths.

The only problem we had was one moron operator put the labels on the
tape upside down and they had to peal off and restick.  Of course the
labels didn't completely restick.. until I used a glue stick.

I would go for #3 had I known it was that easy to create the barcode
labels for LTO tapes.  LTO tapes do not have a removable sticker slot
like the DTL's.. so they have to stick on the tape.

--
Dan