Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] single-direction communications possible from Netbackup master- t o media-server ?

2004-04-15 09:20:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] single-direction communications possible from Netbackup master- t o media-server ?
From: rob.delanghe AT telindus DOT be (Rob De Langhe)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:20:10 +0200
Hi,

does anyone know a method to configure the communications between a Veritas
Netbackup master server and a (remote) media server, to be initiated only
from master to media server, with just the replies from the media server
coming back ?

We have a firewall sitting between the two boxes, with the master server
sitting on the inside of the firewall, which we consider as 'secure'.
The media server sits in a remote location, and we do not wish to allow
network (Netbackup) communications to originate from 'the outside' media
server towards the 'inside' master server.

We checked with SUN, buth they cannot take a firm statement whether this is
possible or not (simply haven't done it yet, is the answer).

By default, the master Netbackup server makes a first connection on
(TCP-)port 13701 towards the media server, which in turn attempts to connect
back to the master server on (TCP-)port 13724.

In our setup, this incoming connection from the media server is blocked by
the firewall, and we wish to keep it like that.

Any suggestions are more then welcome !

Rob

Visit us at the Telecom cITy Fair - The largest IT Fair in Belgium!
25, 26, 27 May - Brussels Expo

Get your free tickets here!