Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 5.0 upgrade and now all kinds of media errors and network errors

2004-04-14 10:23:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 5.0 upgrade and now all kinds of media errors and network errors
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:23:26 -0500
On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 06:23:26PM -0700, Dmitri Smirnov wrote:
> NBU 5.0 introduced some errors in our environment but mostly related to
> clients with mistakes in configs (missing reverse DNS entries, wrong
> hostnames, etc). In general 5.x is working faster and more reliable in
> our case.

We did the upgrade to 5.0 last night (Solaris master, Solaris and Win2K
media servers).  In short, it was a major disaster.  We are seeing a
*LOT* of error 84 failures.  Note that our environment was very stable
before our upgrade but now it's tough to get our backups completed at
all.

MP1 came out last night and we applied it right away as per Veritas tech
support's recommendation.  It was supposed to solve at least one bpsched
core dump that we also saw last night.

This morning, after the MP1 install, we're no better.  It's a mess that
we're working on with tech support.

The admin console in Windows is much snappier, but throughput seems to
have really slowed down.

> BTW, Veritas is posting MP1 right now on the support site (MP for agents
> and client is already posted - waiting for a server part). Hope it will
> solve most of our problems.

It didn't for us :-(

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA