Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplicated barcodes - now what?

2004-04-09 18:05:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplicated barcodes - now what?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:05:25 -0600
We made a mistake in our environment here.  A new order of tape labels
accidentally overlapped the previous order's range of numbers.  For a while,
we had both "old" and "new" tapes in the library with about 20 barcode
numbers in common.

Lord knows what's on which tapes now.

Anybody have this happen before?  What's way out of this with the least data
loss.

Current idea: re-barcode the duplicates to create a unique set of tape
labels.  Blow away both old and new ranges from the databases.  Reimport
these 40 tapes.  Might I have the same on-tape label, though?  Will this be
a problem?

-M

   Truly, I am an enigma, wrapped in a mystery, swaddled
   in a conundrum, and smothered in secret sauce.
Mark Donaldson - SE - Experian - 303-675-5844