Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Increasing catalog backup throughput rates ?

2004-04-08 18:14:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Increasing catalog backup throughput rates ?
From: John.Nardello AT T-Mobile DOT com (Nardello, John)
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:14:36 -0700
Environment:
        HP-UX 11.0 master server
        NetBackup 4.5 FP4
        HP Tachyon PCI FC HBA
        Fibre IBM LTO1 drive in an STK L5500

Our catalog backups have always run a little long, but lately it seems to have
gotten even worse. Backing up our 83 GB catalog is taking around 6.5 hours now,
which comes out to about 3719k/sec. Does anyone have any suggestions for
increasing the throughput rate of this backup ? The catalog is cleaned up
fairly often so there's not much I can do to shrink its size without altering
our retention periods. Only the master server is being accessed for this, and
the filesystem is off of an EMC. The backup is triggered via CLI so we do have
backups running during it (we just don't have a 6 hour window of downtime
daily).

Any suggestions for improving the throughput rates would be appreciated.
Thanks.

John Nardello
T-Mobile USA
Enterprise Backup Group