Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: AVR STATUS INSTEAD OF ACS

2004-04-05 11:31:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: AVR STATUS INSTEAD OF ACS
From: Anderson.David AT scrippshealth DOT org (Anderson, David)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:31:57 -0700
Are you in an SSO environment?  I've experienced this myself, upon restart
of "some" of the SSO linked servers (sorry, we do Windows here...), but the
solution we ended up using was the same as you've described.

First, patience: see if it comes back in something under 15 minutes.  This
sometimes works, but not usually.

Second, restart all of the NBU hosts (Master/Media) as a set, including the
tape SAN.  This almost always does the trick.

Third, delete (completely!) and recreate the hardware definitions.  We've
had to do this twice in the two years we've had NetBackup.  Veritas support
walked us through how to remove all the various NON-COMMUNICATING DAMN
DATABASES (sorry, I'm shouting at Veritas).  We then recreated the drive
definitions easily and all was well.  The problems we had was that the drive
definitions were not completely removed, there was indeed some scrambled
definition in some such database that couldn't be removed without deletion
of the file.

David Anderson
ScrippsHealth Information Services
anderson.david AT scrippshealth DOT org

Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] AVR STATUS INSTEAD OF ACS
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:54:31 +0200

I once had this problem, and there was a "corruption" or some other
"gremlin" in the netbackup database on the master server (hp-ux). I also
used libattach on a mediaserver (w2k), and a solaris ACSLS system. Under use
of robtest I saw there were a problem communicating with the robot (not the
drives, I were able to up/down them).

I had to logically *delete* all drives and robots and create them again to
make it work again.  Nice workaround :-) and it got rid of my AVR state
problem..

"Scripps Information Security"
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged and
confidential information and are intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or
the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this e-mail or any of
its attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify the sending individual or entity by e-mail and
permanently delete the original e-mail and attachment(s) from your computer
system. Thank you for your cooperation.