Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Standard Backup Frequency and Retention Guidelines?

2004-04-04 19:46:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Standard Backup Frequency and Retention Guidelines?
From: l-veritas-bu AT kdace DOT com (David Smith)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 19:46:07 -0400
At 2:57 PM -0500 4/2/04, Safran, Becky K wrote:
>I work in a data center with 600+ UNIX and W2K servers using NetBackup. We
>backup operating system, application and databases separately which equates
>to 2000+ backup jobs running per day. I have an objective to reduce the
>amount of data stored on tape. The approach I am taking is to update and
>enforce a standard backup policy of frequency and retention periods. I have
>been unable to find any "industry standards" on this topic.

Yep, same here.

>I am interested in what type of backup policies or guidelines are being used
>in other companies. Any feedback would be helpful.

I am as well.

>We currently use the following guidelines:
>
>      OS and production Application backups are only run Weekly and Monthly.
>
>     Backup Retention options:
>     Daily Database Backups                            2 weeks
>     Daily Incremental Development Application Backups 2 weeks
>    Weekly Backups                                     1 month
>    Monthly Backups                                    3 months, 6 months
>or 1 year
>    Yearly Financial Backups                           7 years
>
>Note: Monthly production backups are sent offsite for a period of 3 months,
>at which time, they are returned for the remainder of their retention
>period.

We backup about 40 unix servers and 90 Intel servers.  Our standard
backup schedule is:

User data:
Daily incremental - 2 month retention
Weekly Full - 1 year retention

System/other data:
Daily incremental - 1 month retention
Weekly Full - 2 month retention

Log files:
Daily incremental - 2 month retention
Weekly Full - 1 year retention

All fulls are duplicated and sent off site weekly for 3 weeks after
which time they are returned and recycled..