Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] unable to read volume database. NBU 5.0

2004-04-01 23:39:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] unable to read volume database. NBU 5.0
From: Josh.Goldfarb AT blackrock DOT com (Goldfarb, Josh)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 23:39:27 -0500
Kate from Aenta has provided information about this bug.  All credit goes to
her.  Thanks Kate.
--
see below

Not sure if people have seen this yet. Our S/E sent it out to us this
morning....

~Kate

It is possible for the volDB to be corrupted if the number of characters in a
pool name is a multiple of 4 bytes.  This problem only applies to a server
acting as a Media Manager Volume Database Host, running either VERITAS
NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 5.0, or VERITAS NetBackup Server (tm) 5.0.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  for complete information see the TechNote at
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265846.htm.  Please contact Technical
Support for all questions (do NOT reply to this e-mail).

This alert is being sent to all NBU 3.4 and 4.5 customers.

This problem can only occur on a server running VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 5.0 GA
(Server or Enterprise Server), which is also acting as a Media Manager Volume
Database Host (ie, it hosts the volDB).  This problem also affects the
operation of VERITAS Storage Migrator (tm) 5.0 for UNIX.

This issue does not affect NetBackup 3.4 or 4.5 customers.  However, if you
intend to upgrade to NetBackup 5.0, you need to be aware of this issue.

 Symptom:

It is possible for the volDB to be corrupted if the number of characters in a
pool name is a multiple of 4 bytes. This problem only applies to a server
acting as a Media Manager Volume Database Host, running either VERITAS
NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 5.0, or VERITAS NetBackup Server (tm) 5.0.

Exact Error Message:

<16> select_media: unable to query Media Manager volume daemon on host vmhost,
unexpected data received