Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP - duplication and restore

2004-03-30 17:01:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP - duplication and restore
From: Joost Mulders <mail AT j-mulders.demon DOT nl> (Joost Mulders)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 00:01:19 +0200 (MEST)
Hi,

I found confusing info regarding this question (so, sorry, no solution ;-)

When I skim the "NetBackup Vault 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX and
Windows", p. 82 I read that it is not possible to duplicate NDMP backups (which
was my first thought also), but ...

On the other hand, on the support site exist two technotes dealing about the
duplication of NDMP backups:

>       I am currently testing integration of NDMP into our regular backup
>schedules.  I have NBU 4.5 with MP3.  I have set up library with some drives
>dedicated to NDMP devices and some, including the robotics control, to a unix
>master server.  Now I can run the backup and restore off of NDMP devices just
>fine.  However, I would like to duplicate the NDMP image for off-site storage
>on a master server.  Vaulting of the backup completes successfully, but when I
>expire copy #1 and try to restore from copy #2, it fails.  bptm logs
>"mount_open_media: unable to find an NDMP drive in the requested storage unit
>for restore", bpbrm logs "bpbrm Exit: client restore EXIT STATUS 98: error
>requesting media (tpreq)" and restore exits with status 5.  Does anyone vault
>media that way?  Any ideas on the failure?

Is the drive used for the restore of copy 2 actually an NDMP drive? I think it
should be so.

Br, Joost
--
Long may you run.