Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Upgrading Netbackup from V3.4.1 to V4.5

2004-03-30 06:20:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading Netbackup from V3.4.1 to V4.5
From: steven.jenner AT psineteurope DOT com (Steven Jenner)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:20:04 +0100
Oops last mail didn't quite work, I'll try again.

Hi, was hoping to get some advice regarding a Netbackup upgrade that I am
about to embark upon. I am upgrading from Netbackup Datacentre v3.4.1 to 4.5
(fairly straightforward) but I am also moving the installation from HPUX to
Solaris 9 (exact details copied below).

Current solution

Veritas Master server
HP N Class 9000
1Gb memory
2 x Seagate ST318275LW (18.2Gb)
2 x Cpu's
HPUX 11.0
Attached to HP Surestore E disk array with 4x 36.4Gb disks

Media Server 1
HP R Class 9000
1Gb memory
2 x Seagate ST39103LC (9.1Gb)
2 x Cpu's
HPUX 11.0
Attached to 10 DLT8000 SCSI drives

Media Server 2
HP R Class 9000
1Gb memory
2 x Seagate ST39102LC (9.1Gb)
2 x Cpu's
HPUX 11.0
Attached to 9 DLT8000 SCSI drives

The above servers are all running Netbackup Datacentre V3.4.1

Proposed New Solution

Veritas Master Server
Sun Fire V280R server,
One 1.2GHz UltraSPARC-III Cu processor,
1GB memory (4 x 256MB DIMMs),
Two 73GB 10,000rpm 1-inch internal FCAL disk drive,
Solaris 9.

Media Server 1
Sun  Fire V480R server,
2x 1.05GHz UltraSPARC-III Cu processor,
4GB memory (16 x 256MB DIMMs),
Two 73GB 10,000rpm 1-inch internal FCAL disk drive,
Solaris 9.
Attached to 10 DLT8000 SCSI drives

Media Server 2
Sun  Fire V480R server,
2x 1.05GHz UltraSPARC-III Cu processor,
4GB memory (16 x 256MB DIMMs),
Two 73GB 10,000rpm 1-inch internal FCAL disk drive,
Solaris 9.
Attached to 9 DLT8000 SCSI drives

These servers will be using Veritas Datacentre v4.5.

Proposed way forward

1.      Upgrade current solution to v4.5 and run a catalog backup against
it.

2.      Connect up new solution and restore the catalogs to the new server
using the bprecover command.

By carrying out the two steps shown above I believe we would load all of the
necessary catalog information onto the new solution which would then enable
us to decommission the old kit.

Other Concerns
As well as the standard Netbackup solution I am currently using a Sun E220R
server (running Solaris 7) which is connected to a StorEDGE D1000 array to
perform Oracle hot backups. Will the upgrade of the master and media servers
affect this in any way?

Looking forward to getting your feedback.