Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Weird Restore Event

2004-03-29 17:46:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Weird Restore Event
From: Robert.Watkins AT mail.va DOT gov (Watkins, Robert)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:46:34 -0600
I have a weird question/situation I would like to pose and ask for any and
all feedback.

Situation: I was asked to restore a file to a specific directory, when I
attempted to do the restore Netbackup restore monitor gave me a strange
message which I didn't really understand, So I continued to attempt the
restore, since it would not go in the directory in which I asked it to, I
thought I would attempt to put the file in /tmp and then either copy it over
or mv it over, with a grey area of knowledge on the restore process I
changed the ownership and group permissions to root and sys in an attempt to
open the directory wide open and Netbackup would not have an excuse to put
it there. Well it attempted to write a couple of times, I even saw kb going
across, but after about 40 to 50 thousand kb written, the process failed
with the same weird error, by the way it was found to be dirty heads on the
drives, because the files was restored the following day to the proper
directory without any problems, my question to you all id Have you ever
experienced Netbackup attempt a restore to a different directory and changes
the permissions of the directory?? Not the ownership or grp, we discovered 2
days later that several important process failed due to the fact that the
permissions changed somehow and cron processes could not write to /tmp. (by
the way we are using 4.5 fp3) I have logged a ticket with Veritas to pose
the same question to see if they can shed any light on this mystery, If
anyone has experienced this or witnessed it and as suggestions or comments
please feel free to let me know.

Thanks you

Robert (Mickey) Watkins
Austin Automation Center