Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog sizes

2004-03-23 14:49:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog sizes
From: matt.beal AT lightsurf DOT com (Matt Beal)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:49:42 -0800
I have about the worst-case environment you can imagine - almost 200
million files and directories, only totaling about 3 TB. Catalog size
just crossed 200 GB, or about 7% of the data size.

A suggestion for anyone in that position: switch to the two-stage
catalog backup method. bpbackupdb does not make use of the
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS settings, instead using a
default blocksize of 32k, and ran WAY too slow to our LTO-2 drives. I'm
now able to back up the catalog in less than an hour, with write speed
peaks up to 105 MB/s.

matt