Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] export DISPLAY, automatically

2004-03-20 22:35:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] export DISPLAY, automatically
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:35:49 -0600
--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

* Biller, Tim <Tim.Biller AT uk.experian DOT com> [2004-03-20 23:17]:
> Couldn't agree more.
>=20
> We've just been forced to use Exceed to run jnbSA exported to our Windows
> 2000 desktops to get around a problem with running the Windows Java Displ=
ay
> (blue-screen crash due to a imcompatatbility with the version of the proxy
> remote control client software installed on the latest desktop build - now
> fixed)  The GUI was practically impossible (very, very slow and screen
> refresh was dreadful) to use in this manner.  The Windows Admin Console
> running locally is also very prone to crashing and runs like a wounded dog
> dragging a car uphill....

I would recommend going with the ssh solution that came up earlier,
then. I don't remember if compression was mentioned, but I'll mention it
here. Make sure X redisplay is enabled on the server and the client. You
can "force" X redisplay in some cases with -X. -C for compression; it
may help speed up things a bit.=20

A normal commandline would look like this:
   ssh -C -X user@server
>=20
> The only other negative about the local Java Display is the amount of
> resource it consumes even after you log off.  I just ran a bpps -a and got
> this:
>=20
<SNIP>
>     root  5702  2927  0   Mar 19 ?        0:00
> /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpjava-susvc tbiller 0 -1 C
> /usr/openv/java/auth.conf=20
>=20
> And non-one's not even running the GUI!  I have to run bp.kill_all to cle=
ar
> all the processes.

I have a script I wrote to clean up leftover java processes. The
"solution" I got from Veritas was to write this. Thanks for the "help".
The usual disclaimers apply to this. All I can say is I'm using it in
our production environment ;-) Basically, it finds all defunct processes
whose parent is a java client process and then kills all siblings first
ad then kills the parent. Originally, I was killing off the parent and
the children were getting killed too, but I found that you can't depend
on that happening.

#!/bin/ksh
#
# cleanbpjava.ksh
#
# script to clean up defunct NetBackup java client connections
#

GREP=3D/usr/xpg4/bin/grep

for p in `ps -eaf | $GREP defunct | $GREP -v grep | awk '{ print $3 }' | so=
rt -u`
do
ps -eaf | /usr/local/bin/gawk -v PID=3D$p 'PID=3D=3D$2{print}' | $GREP -q b=
pjava-susvc

if [ "$?" -eq "0" ]
then
    #echo "+++ Parent $p +++"
    for child in `ps -eaf | /usr/local/bin/gawk -v PID=3D$p 'PID=3D=3D$3{pr=
int $2}'`
    do
        #echo "Killing child process $child"
        kill -9 $child