Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Is there an official document of client and

2004-03-18 13:17:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Is there an official document of client and
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:17:16 -0800 (PST)
> Well Veritas recommend it be set to as low as 1000:
>
> <<
>
> TCP_CLOSE_WAIT_INTERVAL
>
> For Solaris 2.6 or previous use the following command:
> ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_close_wait_interval
>
> For Solaris 7 or above use the following command:
> ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_time_wait_interval
>
> For HP-UX 11 use the following command:
> ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_time_wait_interval
>
> (NOTE: The equivalent command on HP-UX 10 is "nettune" instead of "ndd".)
> These commands will produce a large number, like the default 240000 (value
> is in
> milliseconds, so 240 seconds or 4 minutes). This is the amount of time to
> wait after a
> socket is closed before it can be reused. In most cases this can be
> shortened to about 1
> second (1000).

If your machine is firewalled so that all communication is over a local
LAN only (probably common for backup servers or isolated test
environments), then this could be okay.  Since the setting is global for
all TCP connections on a machine, I would not do that to anything which
could talk to an external router or a WAN.

Sun does not recommend setting it below 60 seconds.
http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-7009/6jftnqske?a=view

You are playing with the TCP stack here, and the required value is
2*MSL.  Reducing it to 60 seconds (especially for very busy web servers
that have lots of short connections) is generally found to be OK.

I've never seen any of my Netbackup machines generate connections
anywhere close to needing to change that parameter, but then my systems
have never been huge (under 100 clients).