Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Is there an official document of client and server NIC and switch settings

2004-03-17 14:03:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Is there an official document of client and server NIC and switch settings
From: cheryl.king AT intrado DOT com (King, Cheryl)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:03:10 -0700
Over and over again we have problems with poor performance with new client
backups and restores.  Is there a document that says what the NIC settings
should be for each client type?  For example we have highest speed possible for
all of them, half duplex for HP, and full duplex for everything else, I think
(I haven't checked every system and wasn't here when some were implemented).
Setting Auto detect on the switch seems to not work correctly (causes slow
performance).   I think the switches are set to match the server, but have no
way to verify that.  I'd like to be able to present an official document to the
System Administrators and the Network Engineers that states the correct
configuration requirements.  Does Veritas have such a document or statement?

Is this a problem in other environments?  Is this just an issue in Veritas
Backup environments?  Are my SAs and Network Engineers not following some
industry, standard, best-practices?    I've been in IT for many years but
working with Veritas NBU for 1 year.  I don't recall ever having network issues
like this before.

NBU 4.5 FP5 Solaris 8 Master/Media
Clients OSF1_V5, HP-UX 11.00, HP-UX10.20, Windows2000, WindowsNT, RedHat2.4,
RedHat 2.2, Solaris8, Solaris7.

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl King