Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Dedicated and SSO drives on same SAN media server

2004-03-08 16:47:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Dedicated and SSO drives on same SAN media server
From: mmlist AT mjmm DOT org (Michael Miller)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:47:04 -0000 (GMT)
Hi,

I am looking after an enviroment where we have a number of STK FC drives
in a silo connected to a SAN.  What we are trying to do is have a couple
of "dedicated" FC drives on each media server and then have a couple of
SSO drives shared between the media servers. So something like:

STK_Drive1 -> configured on Media_Server1
STK_Drive2 -> configured on Media_Server2
STK_Drive3 -> configured on Media_Server3
STK_Drive4 -> configured on Media_Server3 (two drives on server3)

STK_Drive5 -> configured as SSO on all media servers.

This is all great and groovy.  However, what we are seeing, is that
sometimes the media servers pick the SSO drive before picking their
dedicated drive.  Basically we are trying to ensure that each media server
can backup its data. If for some reason it downs its own drive there is
still the SSO drive available.

Each Media server has a storage unit configured with a maximum of 1
concurrent drives and policies direct backups to a particular media
server.

So, is there a configuration option available to tell netback to always
use the non-SSO drive unless the dedicated drive is unavailable?

Or is our best way forward to use SSO for ALL the drives and let them
float around- the probelm we would face with that though is the IPC
message size limit, requiring changes to /etc/system- these are Solaris
media servers.  On this note, is anyone using the larger IPC message sizes
for setups with more than 16 SSO drives confgured?

thanks for any hints and tips about this.

Thanks
Mike