Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] User Directed Backup and Oracle

2004-03-03 10:45:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] User Directed Backup and Oracle
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:45:46 -0500
--=_alternative 0056969D85256E4C_=

Paul,

You can use the BPSTART_NOTIFY and BPEND_NOTIFY feature to have DBA
Shutdown and backup scripts and
have Netbackup run the backup, and then call scripts to restart the
database.
We use thisfeature to perform hot backups of some of our Oracle databases.

The BPSART_NOTIFY script calls a job to put the tablespaces in backup
mode, then runs the backup policy,
when the backup policy is complete, the BPEND_NOTIFY script is called to
take the tablspaces out of backup
mode and return things to normal. We do this for databases that have
archivelog mode turned on.

In your case, you could use this same process to do what you are
describing to call your DBA scripts to set up the flat files,
then have the standard policy backup the files, then the bpend could call
any further scripts to restart the database, etc.

The advantage to this bpend/bpstart featuer is that the backups
are scheduled from the master server and you do not need a cron job to run
the backups.

I can send you copies of our scripts if you like.

Carl Stehman
PHI Services Company
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Paul Esson" <paul.esson AT redstor DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
03/03/2004 08:22 AM