Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] HDS Shadow Image can take Incremental backup or not?

2004-02-26 12:13:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] HDS Shadow Image can take Incremental backup or not?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:13:54 -0700
Was the original baseline full backup taken taken from the same shadow image
disks?  If the filesystems/policy/paths are the same, then NB shouldn't know
that it's a shadow image, it just compares a stored timestamp from the last
backup time (if a differential) against the mtime (by default) of the files
on the current filesystem.

This is assuming the shadow copy is from UNIX filesystems.  If it's a
Windows incremental, it should be (by default) looking at the archive bit
and that should copy across from the primary copy, too.

Note: I don't have a HDS array but I used to do backups from a Timefinder
snapshot (BCV's) on EMC and their comparable technologies.

-M