Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 'bpduplicate' and use of a BID file

2004-02-25 08:41:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 'bpduplicate' and use of a BID file
From: avivausa AT yahoo DOT com (Anthony Guzzi)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 05:41:40 -0800 (PST)
I'm curious as to how intelligent 'bpduplicate' is with regards to it's use
with a BID (BackupID) file. If I had a file of BIDs and these BIDs were
scattered among more then one tape, is 'bpduplicate' intelligent enough to sort
the BIDs by tape and then by file number on each tape; or does it simply
duplicate them in the order they are listed in the file?

For example, assume I have a file with a list of six images:  the first and
third image reside on tape A00001, the second and sixth image reside on tape
M12001, and the fourth and fifth reside on tape NH0033 with the fifth one
preceeding the fourth one on the tape.  Also assume all copies will be (can be,
and we want then to be) written to the same tape.  Is 'bpduplicate' smart
enough that it will reorganize the image list into "first, third, second,
sixth, fifth, fourth" (or something similar) so that each source tape is only
loaded once and only advanced until done; or would it start loading and
unloading tapes and rewinding tapes in order to duplicate the images in the
order specified in the BID file?

Anthony J Guzzi
Systems Administrator
Aviva Life Insurance Company
108 Myrtle Street  North Quincy  MA 02171