Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SQL Server DB Agent

2004-02-20 15:02:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SQL Server DB Agent
From: kim AT hjemmekontor DOT nu (Kim Hennvall)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:02:06 +0100
Hi,

We are using the SQL DB agent on approximate 20 SQL servers and it works
very nice. We have had some problems when the db admin is running
maintenance scripts on the DB where the backup software has had problems
accessing the db (explainable error).

The advantage of the agent is that you will be able to recover the
database "easy" to another server or another db-name. You will also have
the possibility to do transaction log backups compared to the "stop
\ start script" (and restores) from the gui.

Instead of using the bpstart\stop scripts you could always do a SQL backup
to a directory and the backup this one - the disadvantage here is that it
requires more diskspace, but you will have more control of the SQL server
than stopping \ starting it.

It's also not recommended to recover a SQL database from the "raw" data
files as this might cause problems (you didn't mention what version of SQL
you were running, but the newer the version the better "options" for
recover by file-only)

We also have a few servers where the "owner" is responsible for creating
the dump file of the SQL server and i do the backup of that file.

I would have gone for the bpstart\bpstop solution but a disk dump of the
databases and then a file backup of the dumpfiles. And as always should
this be documented :)

regards
Kim