Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup Vault - Duplication

2004-02-20 10:04:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Vault - Duplication
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:04:00 -0700
demultiplexing is extrememely expensive in terms of time - each client has
to be read and written in sequence from scattered chunks.  The time increase
is more than just the mux factor (4 in your case) because the mechanical
delays added by the seek-to-fragment are an issue.

Why are you thinking about doing it?  I moved a duplication job from
literally days to hours by not demultiplexing. (Actually, I started
duplicating specially created non-mux'd backup - demux-ing at the source
rather than the destination.)

Since you're duplicating 'all' your backups - have you considered writing
two copies at backup time using the in-line tape copy that's part of vault?

-m