Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Max Fragment size

2004-02-17 16:27:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Max Fragment size
From: Joost Mulders <mail AT j-mulders.demon DOT nl> (Joost Mulders)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:27:14 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

Fragment size is a bit of an ancient option that has no advantage for modern
tape drives like [s]dlt, lto and stk's 9000 series.

Fragment size is available to do 'fast' restores for single files with 4mm DAT
or 8mm Exabyte equipment and the like. These tape drives do not know about the
"locate block" scsi command. When NetBackup needs data for restore from these
drives AND the backup is fragmented, NetBackup can say "fast skip forward n
fragments" to position the tape as fast as possible near the file.

For newer equipment, the offset of blocks is stored in an index on tape (dlt)
or
in a memory chip on the cartridge (lto). NetBackup also 'knows' (by catalog) in
which block a certain file lives. In this case, NetBackup can say "locate block
n" and the drive knows by the index the offset of the block and can wind to
that
block very fast. So, even if you would have fragments here, NetBackup will
still
use "locate block" to do the tape positioning, so having fragments do not
improve anything here.

On the other hand, fragment size is valid disk stu's which live on file system
with a limited maximum file size.

See also,

Best regards, Joost

--