Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: DR: Solaris Flash Archives to Protect NB Server

2004-02-13 13:48:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: DR: Solaris Flash Archives to Protect NB Server
From: bryer AT sfu DOT ca (Jeff Bryer)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:48:01 -0800
>He informed me that Solaris 8 now has the ability to create a Flash
>Archive.
>
>Essentially these are the steps as he explained them.
>
>Backup Procedure
>        1) Grab a DVD burner.
>        2) Create a Flash Archive of the Solaris Server
>        3) Burn the Archive to DVD
>
>Restore Procedure (should there be a disaster.)
>        a) Boot Solaris from the flash archive you create and it will
>restore the system
>        or(I'm not 100% sure what he said here)
>        b) Boot Solaris install media, then add the flash archive you
>created. The system will be restored.
>
>Has anyone given this a try to protect NB Master Servers?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Karl

Interesting idea.  We use Flash Archives (Sol 8/9) to do our initial build of a
new
server.  Takes about 15 mins to build and we end up with a system that has
everything
common to our environment (ie NBU client installed, services shut off,
tightened security,
etc).  We take step b) to build the system, you're asked to enter in host
specific settings
(ip, hostname, name service, partition layout, etc).

Step a) would make for a really easy and fast way to rebuild your master
server.  We've gone
the route of a separate ufsdump to tape on the master server to recover from.
When we
move our master servers to machines that have DVD drives I think I might favour
the flash
option.  The key is to make sure the DVD is bootable (or else you're booting
from install
media and then choosing the DVD as the source for the flash archive).

--
Jeff Bryer                              bryer AT sfu DOT ca
Systems Administrator                   (604) 291-4935