Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Replacement for Netbackup

2004-02-11 14:24:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Replacement for Netbackup
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:24:37 -0800
The cost of Veritas, while higher than most, does have a rationale.  It is an
Enterprise Class backup software; meaning it scales to hundreds or even
thousands of machines, has support for virtually every client type (like AFS
and NDMP), and has a lot of (ahem) features.

That being said I am not a fan myself but I don't think your environment gives
them a fair shake.  My suggestion would be go with option 2.

If you are comfortable with the way Veritas works maybe look at their NBU
Business class software (I believe that's the name anyway).  Or start pricing
other software vendors.  I'm sure there are plenty who would love to oust
Veritas.

Of course, given the apparent simplicity of your environment you may be just as
well off with a free package like Amanda.  There are a few out there with
support for Unix and Windows, and I hear nothing but good things from admins
who use them.  Of course your support is the user community but in some cases
that's better than vendor support.

~JK