Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Policy Maintenance

2004-02-07 23:12:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Policy Maintenance
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 22:12:20 -0600
--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

* Coco, Samuel (Cont, ARL/CISD) <scoco AT arl.army DOT mil> [2004-02-07 21:54]:
> Rather then even taking the chance - why not just deactivate them and lea=
ve them there?  The don't take up any room and if necessary - you can activ=
ate, use and then deactivate again. At least until the older tapes and imag=
es expire.
> =20
>       -----Original Message-----=20
>       From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA [mailto:Karl.Rossing AT
> Federated DOT CA]=20
> =09
>       If i delete the 10 original policies, will i have problems
> merging/resto=
ring my 2-3 year old offisite tapes that used the old 10 policy names.=20

The policy names have little to do with restoring data from offsite
tapes. If the images have not expired, then their data will still be in
the database regardless if the old policies exist or not. As for
merging, I assume you are referring to importing data from an old tape,
this is a simple import that has nothing at all to do with the policy
used to back it up. We have used import to get data from tapes that were
not even backed up on our system in the first place.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0