Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Scheduling?

2004-01-29 23:15:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Scheduling?
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:15:43 -0600
--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4

* Daryl Katauskas <DKatauskas AT nst-inc DOT com> [2004-01-29 16:36]:
> Hello All:
>=20
> I have a requirement to schedule full backups for a group of client machi=
nes each Friday.  So far so good.  I also have  an additional requirement t=
o perform a full backup of the same machines on the LAST Friday of each mon=
th for long term archiving.
>=20
> Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to accomplish this second type of=
 schedule?  (Other than by specifically excluding the first backups?

Actually, this depends on what your requirements are. Do you need an
ADDITIONAL full on the last Friday, or can you use one of the other
fulls for this?

set up a weekly schedule and a monthly schedule that have no times
defined in the window. this way it will run only if you tell it to.
having different schedules allows you to set up different retentions. Then
try using a wrapper script that is scheduled through cron to run every
Friday and test if it is the last Friday of the month. If it is, run the
monthly schedule, if not run the weekly schedule using bpbackup with a
-i switch.=20

This is just one variation of the problem, geared toward 3.4 and
earlier. If you are using 4.5, It's simple to add a monthly
calendar-based schedule instead of a frequency-based one.

--=20
David Rock
david at graniteweb dot com

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4