Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: ndmp/netapp, dedicated tape drive?

2004-01-28 17:22:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: ndmp/netapp, dedicated tape drive?
From: sarcher AT connect.com DOT au (Suzi Archer)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:22:52 +1100
> I'm unsure what you mean by "3-way ndmp backups" ?

Once you start dealing with a number of netapps, _this_ is the best thing since
sliced bread :)
The tape drive is attached to a media server rather then a netapp directly, and
the
media server and netapp(s) are both NDMP authorised.
Means you can send multiple netapps to the same tape drive(s), and is a boon
when tape
drives "break".. the backups can go to another drive if available, and you
don't have to
panic *quite* as much. :)

> Also if you backup data via NDMP from the NetApp, you are will be restricted
> in it's recovery. It must be restored via NDMP, this can be a problem not
> being able to restore to another non-NDMP client machine!! (HOWEVER - it is
> possible to recover an NDMP backup via a SUN system, which you have). I have
> got some notes on how to restore NDMP backups via a SUN system.

Sonds like your notes are about 3 way backup, BUT could you please forward
these to me ?
If it's not what I think it is, it would be very useful. (i've been dreading
the day
i'd need to do a complete netapp restore to somewhere other then the source
netapp)

-suz

--
Suzi Archer             connect.com.au          /"\
Systems Group           180-188 Burnley Street  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign