Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Dynamic policies

2004-01-22 14:11:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Dynamic policies
From: justin.lloyd AT mci DOT com (Justin C. Lloyd)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:11:33 -0500
We have a data directory where data from multiple sources is
divided up into subdirectories based on the date and the
data's source, something like /data/$YYYYMMDD/$SOURCE.  (Each
day's data will be about 30 GB.)

Every morning we would like to do a full backup of the
previous day's data from all sources.  Once a day's data is
written to disk, it never changes, so a full (plus a Vault
copy) is all we would have in backups for each day, i.e., no
incrementals for the /data filesystem.  So for each day
YYYYMMDD I would need a new policy with the line

/data/${YYYYMMDD - 1}/*

in the policy's file list.

I obviuosly would not want to hand-create hundreds of policies.
This leads me to two possible solutions:

1. Create a unique policy for every day.  A cron job could
run a script to generate, say, a month of policies in advance.
(Perl could handle the $date - 1 easily.)  I would also want
to periodically delete old policies.

2. Have just one policy whose file list is updated daily by
cron.

Number 2 is much more to my liking.  That being said, does
this sound more difficult than it needs to be?

Justin

--
Justin C. Lloyd
Unix System Administrator